Saturday, June 30, 2012

FIESTA...ALLLL DAY. Mexican Style!!

Oh the adventures of yesterday.....
Can you say..... holysmolysomuchpartingiwanttocrybutcan'tstopbecauseitissomuchfunandmexicoisthebestthingthateverhappend!?!? Because I totally can!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place. Can I tell you why? One word=FIESTA. From 1 p.m. to around 1 a.m.

Literally.

FIESTA. ALL DAY.  (for you that don't speak Spanish, Fiesta means Party in English). Did I almost pass out from being so tired when we finally went to bed at 2:00 a.m.? Yes. Was I wet/in a bathing suit the entire day? YES. Did I get to know some of the coolest people ever? YES. Did I learn how to salsa dance? BIG YES. Was I in the pool so much that my entire body was a raisin? DOUBLE YES. Did we dance the entire day and laugh all the while doing it? HUGE YES. Have I ever sweat that much in my entire life? NO.  Would I do it all again? YES.


Honestly today was one of the funnest days that I have ever had. There is nothing like swimming all day, dancing, playing soccer, getting to know people, eating exotic Mexican fruits, and sweating to death while doing it. Today, right after school (trust me. I promise I am doing homework! Promise. I did it all morning. It was great. I learned tons...but that part it kinda boring.) and after all of us were done studying in the library for our classes we went to Jackie and Becca's house for a huge FIESTA! We salsa danced, chatted with each other (the people in my study abroad group are incredible), ate pizza (amazingly they have Domino's here), sat in the pool for 4 hours, blasted music, and played tons of games. Because I am still getting to know the wonderful people in my group...today I, along with the whole group, spoke mostly English today...which was a little refreshing. It was such a blast. I feel like I have another family here in Merida.


After Fiesta #1 Tom, Marie, Ethan, Cody, Ryan, and I were walking to the bus stop and saw some Mexican boys playing soccer in a basketball court just off the street. Obviously we were like---k--PERFECT MEXICAN MOMENT. So what did us Americans do? We ran over and asked these 12 year old boys if we gringos could play with them. They let us. Mexican v. United States...our country's pride was on the line. These little boys were INCREDIBLE. We had some amazing soccer players, but they had to work SOOOOOO hard to beat these little kids in this little pick up game. It was so hot. I literally sweated more than I ever had but it was such a blast. I am pleased to say, we ended up winning a really close game...so we did our country good. :) We talked with the boys after and it was so much fun. Then when me and Marie were walking home from the bus stop a HUGE rainstorm hit, and we were absolutely drenched from head to toe. It was so much fun. I love warm rain. I love Mexico. 


After Fiesta #2 Marie and I went to a piano concert right when we got home. Literally. We walked in the door and they were like....hurry! we are going straight to a piano concert of my friends. We went with Monce. Her friend is amazing at playing the piano. LIKE THE NEXT BEETHOVEN. Seriously I got the chills. Me and Marie gave him a standing ovation at the end of his performance...we were the only ones...amazingly---maybe they don't do that in Mexico. Then we hung out with Monce and her guy-friend which was a blast. We then went to doggergurgers. Most amazing hamburgers ever!!! 


After Fiesta #3 it was time for salsa. Marie and I invited everyone in our group over to our house to go over and dance salsa at one of the bars. Right when Monce and her friend dropped us off at our house, like 7 of our new friends were there waiting for us. We had a ton of people over. We went to Cuba Cuba which was supposed to be having a live Cuban band and Salsa dancing but they cancelled because its Mexico's elections for president tomorrow and so it is a law right now that the bars can't distribute alcohol for 4 days so that they can have clear minds to vote. (KINDA AWESOME!) So what did we do? We had our own salsa dance in the MIDDLE OF THE MALL!! IT WAS SUCH A BLAST. I learned how to Salsa dance and all the Mexicans thought we were so weird...but it was such a blast.

After Fiesta #4 it was time to chill. We all went to our house (all 20 of us) and got water and turned on more salsa music and danced! I earned 20 pesos because Ethan dared me to jump in the pool with clothes on, and I did. Marie, Ethan and Ryan did it later too. We had a blast pushing each other into the pool while taking pictures. So funny. We ate Popsicles and played banana grams and DANCED MORE. It was such an incredible day.

I am starting to feel more alive and more confident in my Spanish and who I am, than I ever have before. I am starting to feel closer with my loving Heavenly Father every day...because I need to rely on Him so much while here. I love Him. And I can't thank Him or my wonderful parents enough for the wonderful experiences they are allowing me to have.

Here is most of the day in a montage of pictures.....



Pool Party at a GORGEOUS HOUSE

The Girls. Boy, I love them.

Dance party #1. Please never stop the Salsa music.

Marie is an incredible ballroom dancer. She taught us all how to Salsa.

Newborn puppies at Becca's house!! Love these!

I was trying to blend in and be all cool in this photo....didn't work out. Here was the food and party!!

Could I please have this in my backyard!!!


Walking to the bus stop and after the party! We saw like 3 GIGANTIC iguanas!! SOOO cool!

Playing soccer with the boys and the Mexican professionals. BUT, America STILL won :) 

Drenched after walking home in a HUGE rainstorm

Monce, Marie, and I at the piano concert!

The 3 of us at Doggerburgers. What is it? Well...

Doggerburgers= Doritos, HUGE hamburger, Chile, Salsa, and bun. YUMMM (I couldn't finish mine they were so huge!)
Program of the Piano recital that we went to!
THE NEXT BEETHOVEN!

At the mall! These are some of the troopers that danced in the middle of the mall! Love these guys!

3 Random Mexican boys thought we were weird and wanted to talk a picture with us...hahahaha 

Salsa Dancing in the Middle of the Mall


Who needs bathing suits, when you can just jump in FULLY clothed! Ethan... I still need those 20 pesos. 


Me and Laura were a team with Banana grams...we played Spanish words only...it was SO HARD. (Don't mind the curves in our words...it was the only way we could win.)

I love this picture. But it is kinda greasy/sweaty. We love Banana Grams and sweat!!! I love this girl!



WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY!! CAN'T WAIT FOR EXCURSION #1 TOMORROW!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment