Saturday, July 21, 2012

Excursion #4: Chichen-Itza--A Seventh World Wonder

An INCREDIBLE day at Chichen-Itza.

A fufilment of a bucket list dream.
One of the Seventh World Wonders.
May have smiled like a little kid on Christmas.
Chichen-Itza, You are my favorite Mayan Ruin. 
Oh Chichen-Itza.
ENJOY THE COOLEST PLACE EVER...

Caitlin and I ready for an incredible day. 

On the entrance into Chichen-Itza. There was a gigantic spider of doom. I am SO glad this thing was dead when I saw it. 

Columns left by the Mayans.

The fact that there was columns left here at Chichen-Itza means that they had a different artitecture style than most of the other ruins. 

Cool engravings of a Mayan God on one of the ruins. 

A small building.

Pyramid #1. Smaller version of the classic HUGE chichen-itza Pyramid. 

Better shot of this INCREDIBLE Pyramid left by the Mayas. 

The snake was very important and sacred to the Mayans. So on all their ruins and architecture there are a lot of things that look like this. 

Steps on the other side of Pyramid #1. SO COOL. 

Chac. The rain God. A Column that was found on this site. You can tell it is Chac, the god of rain, because of the long noses coming off the side. 


The astromical observatory. This building is very unique to Mayan Culture. It was built to the God of Wind because it is circular. Very rare in the ancient ruins, but super cool to see. 

A better look at the astronomical tower. Circles=very rare. 

THE COOLEST MAYAN BUILDING I HAVE EVER SEEN. Chichen-Itza was a HUGE city and heavily populated. All of these buildings and things were all within in feet of each other. Our guide compared it to New York city for the Mayas. There has been some speculation that this may have been Zarahemla, or that this may very well have been exactly what the city of Zarahemla looked like. Kinda awesome to think about. 

Caitlin and I in front of the coolest building! You can see the faces of the Gods on the building. 

The God of the rain! This is the sweet!

Another building in the city of Chichen-Itza. 


Ruins of the city. 

Perfectly structured doorway, the tower looking over the city. 

A bathtub? that is what they think. 

Streets of Chichen-Itza. 

Mustaches. Walking break. Love these girls. 

THE GREAT PYRAMID. ONE OF THE 7 WONDERS OF THE WORLD! BEAUTIFUL!!!! I was SOOOOOO excited. It is a serious bucket-list item. 

Looks like a movie. Isn't this so cool.

A snake mouth on the great pyramid. On the spring equinox a shape of a snake shadow perfectly aligns on these stairs. 

I LOVE THIS PLACE. 

Gorgeous. 

The angle of the pyramid that didn't have 100000 people on it. 


The group! This is a shot of dreams. People that I love and a place that I love. 

Holding Chichen-Itza in my hands. 

Temple of 1000 Columns. There really was so many columns. Kinda awesome. 

More Temple of the Columns. 

Cool exotic drum thing that I guy was playing in Chichen-Itza.

The gang. Meditation in front of the pyramid. Did the Mayans do this?

Another cool pyramid and buildings. 

More snakes. Amazing lines and shapes! The Mayans were incredible people!

Life dream=Fufilled. 

I kinda loved this place a lot. TOO MUCH. Favorite Mayan ruin of all time. 

Carving of a Mayan God. 

Snake engravings on one of the buildings 

Cenote for sacrifices. 

Laura and I. 

All the vendors that Bombard you while walking through the streets of Chichen. 

If you clap in front of the pyramid, there is a reflector wall that bounces the sound off to sound somewhat like a duck squack. Kinda fun. And we had maybe too much fun with it. 

More ancient snake heads. SAWEET!

Buildings.

Roommate and I! 

Skulls. Unique because they are stacked on each other. Usually in their depictions they weren't stacked like that.  

Jackie, me, and Laura D. How exotic. 

SNAKE!! This is my interpretation of the SNAKE. 

ANOTHER SNAKE!!!! They loved snake. The snake was feathered, and the most important God to the Mayans. 

Biggest Playing field in all of the world. Have you seen El Dorado, remember the game that they play? This was the playing grounds for the Mayans. 

I wish I could have learned this sport. They played with their hips and it looks kinda like basketball!

Where the Referee sat....kinda awesome

Alejandra and I. She is so beautiful! She helps with all of our excursions and I have become really great friends with her. 

The "basketball hoop". This sport must have been very important to the Mayans because they spent a lot of time and energy making it legit. 

carvings on the side of the playing field. SWEEEET

Snake+GREAT PYRAMID=AWESOME VIEW. 



Looks like it might be photoshopped! BUT I PROMISE I WAS THERE! IT WAS AWESOME!

Some of my peers and I in front of the Chichen Itza Entrace! SUCH A BLAST!

At Chichen, we ate at this cool buffet and there was all these really cool Mexican Dancers that danced around us with trays on their heads. 


After Chichen-Itza...Alejandro and I jammed on the piano! It was such a blast! We practice Adele once and then filmed it and put it on YouTube hhaaha Here is the link if you would like to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBk4kqOc_So&feature=youtu.be
But It was such a blast to Jam with Alejandro and hang out with Monse and friends!

Had a blast jamming today!! THANKS A MILLION.

WORKING WITH MOZART. 

GREATEST DAY IN MERIDA YET!! I LOVE THIS PLACE. 


1 comment: